Can I use the name of a dissolved company?
Dissolved companies have been struck off the register and therefore no longer exist. This means that there are no legal restrictions on using the name for a new or existing company.
However, you still need to make sure that the name abides by the company name rules set out in the Companies Act 2006.
Do your research first
When considering using the name of a dissolved company, it is advisable to research the previous company that used the name. The reputation that the old company had could be carried over into your company and could therefore impact your business’ image.
Even though your company will be issued with a different company registration number (CRN) and will have no legal tie to the old company, previous customers and creditors may confuse the two companies. This can be problematic if the first company provided bad service or received any negative press.
Three of the things you can check:
- The dissolved company’s last set of accounts available on the Companies House Website.
- Carry out a credit check to see if there are any outstanding County Court Judgements (CCJs)
- Carry out an internet search on the company name, this will reveal any news articles, press, or customer reviews related to the company. This can give you an insight into the reputation of the company
If you find that the old company had a very good reputation, you might find that it helps to attract customers. This can, in turn, help to expand your customer base and drive your business forward.
Registering a dissolved company name
If your research has come back clear and you want to proceed, you first need to make sure the name is available to register. This can be done through our free name checking tool, or via Companies House itself.
If the desired name is available, you can use it to register a new company, or to update the name of an existing company.
- 30 Jul 2021 - My Company Has a CCJ Made Against It - What Should I Do?
- 22 Jul 2021 - What Do I Need To Keep In Mind When Upscaling My Business?
- 16 Jul 2021 - Company Wizard Help
- 09 Jul 2021 - Does My Company Have a TIN Number?
- 30 Jun 2021 - An Introduction to Corporation Tax