Annual Company Accounts
What are Annual Accounts?
Every year a company must submit a set of financial statements to Companies House for the previous accounting period. It is the responsibility of the company directors to ensure these accounts are filed on time.
When are my Accounts Due?
Companies House will set a date for your company to submit its annual accounts. This is determined by your Annual Accounting Reference Date or ARD.
You may have already received an alert from us to notify you of the date, you can also check the annual return due date at Companies House.
What Must be Included in the Company Accounts?
The detail required within the annual accounts will depend on the size of the company. The criteria below will enable you to identify the classification for your company. At least two of the conditions must be met to qualify for a given category.
No trading activity for the previous accounting period. Dormant companies must submit a set of dormant accounts using form AA02.
Small Companies (2010 figures)
- Annual Turnover below 5.6 Million GBP
- Balance sheet total below 2.8 Million GBP
- Average number of employees below 50
Small companies are only required to submit abbreviated accounts. Abbreviated accounts must include the following:
Small Company Accounts
- the abbreviated balance sheet and notes; and
- a special auditor's report (unless the company is also claiming audit exemption)
- Annual Turnover below 22.8 Million GBP
- Balance sheet total below 11.4 Million GBP
- Average number of employees below 250
Abbreviated accounts of a medium-sized company must include:
Medium Company Accounts
- the abbreviated profit and loss account;
- the full balance sheet;
- a special auditor's report;
- the directors' report; and
- notes to the accounts.
Other useful resources:
Change your Annual Accounting Reference Date ARD
Recent Support Articles
- 21 May 2018 - Company Formation Wizard - The Company Formation Process
- 17 May 2018 - Company Incorporation Wizard - Terms and Conditions
- 17 May 2018 - Terms and Conditions