Prefer to talk?
9:00 to 17:30 (Weekdays)

Striking Off a Limited Company

You can issue notice to remove a private limited company directly with Companies House. To strike off a company you will need to complete Companies House form DS01. To complete form DS01 you will be asked to provide the following information:
  • Company Number
  • Company Name
  • The signature of the authorising officers for the company

Please Note: You can now strike off a company using our online filing service.

A private company can apply to be struck off if, in the previous three months, it has not:
  • traded or otherwise carried on business;
  • changed its name;
  • for value, disposed of property or rights that, immediately before it ceased to be in business or trade, it held for disposal or gain in the normal course of its business or trade (for example, a company in business to sell apples could not continue selling apples during that three-month period but it could sell the truck it once used to deliver the apples or the warehouse where they were stored); or
  • engaged in any other activity except one necessary or expedient for making a striking-off application, settling the company's affairs or meeting a statutory requirement (for example, a company may seek professional advice on the application, pay the costs of copying the Form DS01, etc). However, a company can apply for striking off if it has settled trading or business debts in the previous three months.

A company cannot apply to be struck off if it is the subject, or proposed subject, of:
  • any insolvency proceedings (such as liquidation, including where a petition has been presented but has not yet been dealt with); or
  • a Section 425 scheme (that is a compromise or arrangement between a company and its creditors or members).

It is important that all parties carefully read and agree to the following notices before proceeding to strike off a company:

DS01 Important Information

There is a fee of £33 payable to Companies House in order to file form DS01. You can obtain this form using the link below.

Companies House form DS01

When completed the form should be delivered to the following address:

Companies House
Crown Way
CF14 3UZ

Other Secretarial Procedures

Recent Support Articles